Here’s a secret the devil does not want you to know — why he wants to stifle your relationship with the Holy Spirit. He’s afraid of what you will do!
It’s time we reclaimed what is rightfully ours as followers of Christ: a faith that works miracles. A faith that fulfills the promises made by Jesus! Read the Bible — the New Testament — to find all the times when the supernatural happened and ask, “Is this happening in my life?” And if the answer is no ask, “Why not?” The answer is in your relationship with the Holy Spirit.
In this podcast, I name 8 ways that we stifle the Spirit and identify 3 ways to un-stifle the Spirit.
It’s time that we reclaimed what is rightfully ours as followers of Christ – a faith that works miracles, a faith that heals broken hearts, a faith that ends people sufferings, a faith that drives the enemy out of the Church, a faith that convinces non-believers that turning to Christ is a good idea, a faith that fulfills the promises that Jesus made. Read the Bible, the New Testament, and look for all the times when the supernatural happened. And ask, “Is this happening in my life? Have I ever witnessed something like this today and in today’s world, in today’s Church?” And if the answer is no, ask, “Why not?”
8 Ways We Stifle the Holy Spirit
- Clericalism – religious hierarchy holding onto power and control.
- Legalism – another form of power and control: wielding the letter of the law even when it drives people away from Christ and away from the Church, instead of applying the spirit of the law.
- Unbending policies – similar to legalism except policies don’t carry the same weight as laws.
- Trusting the lies of Satan – every idea that’s unloving. Hurtful. Self-defeating. Self-serving. Unlike Christ. Embraced by those who don’t want to follow Christ.
- Trusting our perceptions and understanding – (Isaiah 55:8) “My thoughts are not your thoughts; my ways are not your ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
- Insufficient time in prayer – Satan is thrilled with our laziness and busyness that keeps us from praying.
- Choosing your own agenda over God’s – we have lots of excuses for doing what we want to do.
- Mediocrity – Jesus said in Mark 12:30, “Love the Lord your God from your whole heart and your whole soul and your whole mind and your whole strength.”
How to un-stifle the Spirit: The 3 Rs
- Retreat into prayer
For more help on this topic, see our WordByte called Commissioned by the Holy Spirit to change the world.
For more help on this topic, see our three courses:
- Pray in the Power of the Holy Spirit
- How to Hear the Holy Spirit
- Living in the Power of the Holy Spirit